Sunday, October 7, 2007

Hamilton Crashes Out In Shanghai Pitlane


Well this is probably not what Lewis Hamilton or any Formula 1 fan would have predicted. With a a damp track the race got underway with Hamilton leading the field, Kimi Raikkonen following close behind with Massa and Alonso in third and fourth position. During the race the track dried out and most drivers went onto the dry tire, then suddenly it started raining again and people were sliding all over the place on their dry tires.

Before Lewis had his last stop his tires were degrading quickly and he was loosing a few seconds a lap for around 3 laps. There were even white patches becoming visible on the rear tires. When Lewis finally was on his way to the pit-stop he approached the pit lane too fast for his ruined tires, with practically no tread, and went off into the gravel, where he was stuck. This left Alonso to gain 8 points on Lewis leaving only a gap of 4 points for the final race in Brazil. And Raikkonen is seven points behind Hamilton, also leaving him with a chance of the Formula 1 World Championship Crown.

Here’s what Hamilton had to say:

We were having a great race, we didn’t know whether it was going to rain or not and the tyres that I was on were just getting worse and worse. At the end I could almost see the canvas underneath. I was coming into the pits and it was like ice. I couldn’t do anything about it. The thing is, my mirrors were completely dirty so I couldn’t see through them, so I couldn’t see my tyres but it just felt like they were completely finished, and I was coming in that lap, so it could have worked out perfectly.

I think we had the pace in the dry. It’s unfortunate, I’m sorry for the team, they did a fantastic job as always. We’ve still got one more race to go, and don’t worry we can still do it. Obviously when I got out of the car I was just gutted, because I haven’t made a mistake all year and to do it on the way into the pits is not something I usually do. But you can’t go through life without making mistakes, and I’m over it.

Now I’m looking on to Brazil and I know the team will be working hard to make sure the car’s quick enough there. We’ve still got the points in the bag.

It’s certainly what Bernie Ecclestone wanted :-) a chance of three drivers winning the Formula 1 World Championship. I’m certainly looking forward to it, it’s going to be the race of the year!


China F1 Race Results:
1. RAIKKONEN Ferrari
2. ALONSO McLaren +9.8s
3. MASSA Ferrari +12.8s
Source