Sunday, November 16, 2008

F1 world champion Hamilton earns right to party

The McLaren team celebrate Lewis Hamilton
The McLaren team celebrate Lewis Hamilton's triumph


LEWIS Hamilton was still coming to terms with being crowned the youngest-ever F1 world champion the morning after his dramatic title success in Brazil.

The 23-year-old from Herts snatched the trophy in the dying seconds of a thrilling race at Interlagos.

He climbed into fifth place at the final corner to deny Brazilian Felipe Massa the title in spectacular fashion.

After celebrating at a party hosted by the McLaren team on the Sunday night, Tewin hero Hamilton felt "absolutely fantastic" the following day having achieved his childhood dream.


Lewis Hamilton celebrates his world title triumph (Pictures courtesy of www.mclaren.com)
Lewis Hamilton celebrates his world title triumph (Pictures courtesy of www.mclaren.com)

He said: "It doesn't really sink in straight away, but then it hits you again and again: 'Wow, you are world champion!' It's a cool feeling."

Hamilton enjoyed the previous night's celebrations and appreciated what it meant to the rest of the McLaren set-up.

"It was a fantastic night for the whole team.

"I walked into the party as the DJ played the theme from Star Wars and it all rolled on from there.

"I remember partying hard last year but this time I took it a bit more easily.

"I didn't want to lose this feeling, and it meant I could take everything in until the end of the evening.

"By the end, the DJ was playing 'We Are The Champions' by Queen and I can remember everyone - the mechanics, engineers, catering people, even the bosses - singing along.

"You can't put into words how happy you've made everyone.

"They've put in so much work along the way that they needed that night to bring everything to a close.

"After seeing that, I knew I was ready for bed. I'd learned my lesson from last year!

Source